Platt, Hopwood, Russell & Cole, PLLC
Free Initial Consultation
321-725-5638 800-479-3032
Our Commitment to You: Everyone Deserves Justice - We Make Sure You Get It

August 2015 Archives

Florida trio face conspiracy charges for Spice

In August 2015, three individuals from the Tampa region pleaded guilty to conspiracy following accusations related to the synthetic recreational drug known as Spice. Two of the trio, a 28-year-old man and a 25-year-old man, admitted to dual federal allegations. These men may spend as long as two decades serving prison time as a result of their conspiracy drug charges.

What to do After Being Involved in an Auto Accident

Odds are that you or someone close to you has been involved in a car accident, whether a minor fender bender or a devastating accident. Regardless of how big or small the accident was, it took a physical toll, an emotional toll and a financial toll. Here are seven steps on what to do instantly after you have been involved in a car accident from the Platt Hopwood Law Firm:

Probation may not help in juvenile cases

While sending young offenders to juvenile hall might not be the best choice for rehabilitation, some alternatives also have problems that can cause more trouble than they solve. Residents in Florida may be surprised to know that the number of teens incarcerated in juvenile detention centers has dropped by half in the past 16 years. More young people are being put on probation, but this has its own set of challenges that can lead to detention.

What to do if your Ex-Spouse is Not Paying Child Support

As always, our first piece of advice is to contact and retain an attorney that you trust. In Florida child support is not a right of the parent, it is a right of the child; each parent has a legal obligation to provide for their minor child or children. Child support ensures that the child's basic needs, such as food, shelter and safety are met and allows the child to benefit from both parent's success and good fortune. The court will determine child support based on a formula that takes into account the child custody agreement, the net income of the parents, daycare costs and additional specified expenses.

Understanding alternative sentencing

In many instances, a person convicted of a minor crime in Florida may be given an alternative sentence in place of incarceration. Alternative sentencing is based on the presiding judge's discretion and could include a pretrial diversion or deferred adjudication, community service, restitution, fines, probation or a suspended sentence. The type of alternative sentence a defendant receives is often based on his or her age and criminal background, the type of crime committed, how victims are affected and if the defendant is remorseful.