Odds are that you or someone close to you has been involved in a car accident, whether a minor fender bender or a devastating accident. Regardless of how big or small the accident was, it took a physical toll, an emotional toll and a financial toll. Here are seven steps on what to do instantly after you have been involved in a car accident from the Platt Hopwood Law Firm:
- Never leave the scene of the accident. If it was a serious accident, a small fender bender or somewhere in the middle leaving the scene of the accident will cause you to become a hit-and-run driver, which carries much more legal consequences than if you had not left the scene of the accident.
- If the drivers and vehicles have the physical capabilities move the vehicles from the road to a safe location. Whether that is the side of the road or a nearby parking lot leaving the vehicles in the middle of the road will cause unnecessary safety risks for drivers and pedestrians nearby.
- DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Take pictures of the damage to the vehicles and of the other driver’s license and insurance card, and get the names and contact information of any witnesses or passengers. This evidence will help the insurance companies determine the claim and will help your attorneys argue your case.
- Call the police. If someone was injured, if the damage to the vehicles looks extensive or you are considering filing an insurance claim we recommend you call the police and have a formal report on the accident from an officer. This may help strengthen your case and is another form of documentation.
- Report the accident. Most insurance companies prefer immediate reporting of the incident.
- Seek medical attention. Even if your injuries are not obvious that day we recommend that you seek medical attention. Seeking medical attention is not only what is best for your health but will also strengthen your personal injury claim. Symptoms of pain and discomfort from the impact may not appear until days or weeks after the accident. The longer you wait to seek medical attention the harder it is for your attorney to prove that the injuries were a result of the auto accident.
- Retain an attorney from Platt Hopwood Attorneys at Law, PLLC. We will diligently fight for your claim and deal with the legality and insurance company while you focus on healing from your accident. Call our office today at (321) 725-3425 to schedule your free consultation.