In The Community
At Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole, we believe in giving back to our community. We focus our legal practice on the areas of law that affect our neighbors’ daily lives: personal injury, criminal defense and family law. We are proud to help the people in our community address their legal concerns and get the results they need so they can focus on their jobs, families and other priorities.
Shareholder partner Jack Platt is a Brevard County native who has been practicing law in local courts for 25 years. Shareholder partner Billie Jo Hopwood is also a Brevard County native who has been practicing law locally for 10 years and has been working in the legal field in Brevard County since 1985. Our lawyers know the local courts – and they know us. Opposing counsel, prosecutors and judges know us by our reputation and record of results.
Community Involvement and Giving
While we are proud of the legal services we provide, our service to Brevard County does not end there. Brevard County has been a wonderful place for us to live, raise our families and do business, and we strive to give back as much as possible. Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole is proud to support many worthy causes and organizations in Brevard County and the surrounding area:
- Wounded Warrior Project — Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole supports the Wounded Warrior Project, which helps veterans in need.
- Brevard Rescue Mission — The firm supports the Brevard Rescue Mission, an organization that strives to break the cycle of homelessness by providing housing and resources to local homeless mothers and children.
- Candlelighters of Brevard — Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole sponsors Candlelighters of Brevard’s Ladies Night Out and Valentine’s Extravaganza, which provides support for local families who have children living with cancer.
- Margaret R. Binz Foundation — Attorney Jack Platt is Chairman of the Board of the Margaret R. Binz Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to assisting underprivileged children and preventing cruelty to animals.
- Power of Pizza Charities — Kurt Russell’s love of running led Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole to sponsor local races put on by Power of Pizza Charities, which supports local high school athletics, Special Olympics of Brevard and the Early Steps Program.
- We Rock for Autism — Billie Jo Hopwood is a music lover, which is how the firm became involved in 80’s in the Park, an annual music festival. Recently, 80’s in the Park has teamed up with We Rock for Autism, a Florida organization that provides music therapy and other resources to children on the autism spectrum, to be the benefactor of the profits of 80’s in the Park.
- Fire Truck Trick or Treat — For the past few years the firm has sponsored a Halloween open house at the Melbourne Fire Department, including fire trucks to explore, trick or treating and fire safety education for children.
- Melbourne Fire Department and Florida Fallen Firefighter Memorial — The firm has been a long-time supporter of the Melbourne Fire Department and their annual golf tournament and other fundraiser efforts that provides support for fallen firefighters and their families.
- Local schools/teams — Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole is proud to sponsor local sporting teams throughout Brevard County.
- Holiday giving — Each year the attorneys at Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole seek out families in need and help them give their children a memorable Christmas. In 2018, Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole has teamed up with Jamie Wong, owner of Igobywong Studios, to provide Christmas presents and joy to local children and families with a goal of giving to 100 children in 2018.
Attorney Jack Platt has also been honored to be the Masters of Ceremony at events for Genesis House, American Cancer Society, St. Baldrick’s and Melbourne Central Catholic High School.
Contact Us to Learn More
To learn more about our community involvement or schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your legal matter, please contact us online, or call our Melbourne office at 321-725-5638 or 800-479-3032 toll free.