Close Menu X
Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole PLLC Serving Brevard County and Florida's Space Coast Region
We are here to help. Start with a free consultation.
321-725-5638 | 800-479-3032

What can you do if you're injured on vacation?

On behalf of Platt Hopwood Attorneys at Law PLLC posted in Injuries on Wednesday, August 17, 2016.

Accidents happen, even on vacation. Remember these four steps to protect yourself.

As summer winds down, many families are squeezing in one last vacation. These trips are meant to be relaxing and restorative, but they can quickly become stressful if you or a member of your family becomes injured.

There are many challenges when you're hurt on vacation. You may need to seek medical care at an unfamiliar hospital. You may have concerns about dealing with the rental car company. You may wonder who will pay your medical bills.

What Can I Do?

There are several steps you can take to protect yourself If you're involved in an accident while traveling:

  1. Gather the necessary information, including photos. Your photos of the accident scene may not make your vacation scrapbook, but they can be important when reconstructing the accident and calculating compensation for your expenses. Get names, insurance details and contact information from any other driver involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses.
  2. Get an accurate police report. A police report can be a valuable piece of evidence in a car accident claim. If you were hit by another driver, wait for the police to come and give them an accurate statement without making any assumptions about fault.
  3. Seek medical attention. You can always see your own doctor once you get home, but it is important to go to a local emergency room if you have any injuries - even seemingly minor ones like neck pain. Injuries often develop over time, so it is important to start a paper trail so you can pursue full compensation for any medical expenses.
  4. Talk to an attorney. Eventually, you will probably need to retain a personal injury lawyer in the state where you were injured. This lawyer should be able to represent you in that state with minimum travel or disruption required of you. You may choose to start your search with a lawyer you trust in your home state. They can help you find a good lawyer in the appropriate venue.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Started With A Free Case Consultation

Contact us by email or call us at 321-725-5638, toll free at 800-479-3032. We will get you through this.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

175 East NASA Blvd., Suite 300
Melbourne, FL 32901

Toll Free: 800-479-3032
Phone: 321-725-5638
Fax: 321-725-4405
Melbourne Law Office Map

Review Us
Visa | Mastercard | American Express | Discover Network