Close Menu X
Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole PLLC Serving Brevard County and Florida's Space Coast Region
We are here to help. Start with a free consultation.
321-725-5638 | 800-479-3032

Relocation of Children in a Timesharing Agreement

Shared parenting plans may be difficult enough to maintain without one parent considering moving. Some parents may assume that since they are the custodial parent they have the right to move with the children. This is false. Relocating with children, or moving more than 50 miles away from the previous residence for at least 60 days with a minor child who is subject to timesharing with another parent, requires court approval. If you have questions regarding relocating with your children contact our office to schedule a consultation with one of our family law attorneys.

Before a parent may relocate with the minor children they must obtain written and explicit consent from the other parent or they must file a Petition to Relocate, which requests that the Court approve the relocation. Once the Petition to Relocate is filed the non-relocating parent has twenty days from the date of service to file a written objection. If no objection is filed the Court is significantly more likely to rule in favor of the relocating parent. The parent who wishes to relocate has the burden of proof; they must prove that the preponderance of evidence shows that the relocation is in the best interest of the child. Many parents are denied their request to relocate because they fail to show the Court that the move is in the best interest of the child. This is where the experience of an experienced family law attorney is essential. Proving the case for relocation by a preponderance of evidence is something that the family law attorneys at Platt Hopwood have experience in. The court must consider many factors when deciding on whether or not to approve of the relocation. The most important is how the relocation will impact the non-relocating parent's relationship with the minor children and how this will impact visitation schedules.

If you are looking to relocate or your ex-spouse is looking to relocate, regardless of whether you are the custodial parent or not, a timely call to the experienced attorneys at Platt Hopwood can make all the difference. Call and schedule your free consultation today at (321) 725-3425 and remember if you have been served with a Petition to Relocate you have twenty days to respond, so do not delay when retaining an attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Started With A Free Case Consultation

Contact us by email or call us at 321-725-5638, toll free at 800-479-3032. We will get you through this.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

175 East NASA Blvd., Suite 300
Melbourne, FL 32901

Toll Free: 800-479-3032
Phone: 321-725-5638
Fax: 321-725-4405
Melbourne Law Office Map

Review Us
Visa | Mastercard | American Express | Discover Network