Close Menu X
Platt Hopwood Russell & Cole PLLC Serving Brevard County and Florida's Space Coast Region
We are here to help. Start with a free consultation.
321-725-5638 | 800-479-3032

What to do if your Ex-Spouse is Not Paying Child Support

As always, our first piece of advice is to contact and retain an attorney that you trust. In Florida child support is not a right of the parent, it is a right of the child; each parent has a legal obligation to provide for their minor child or children. Child support ensures that the child's basic needs, such as food, shelter and safety are met and allows the child to benefit from both parent's success and good fortune. The court will determine child support based on a formula that takes into account the child custody agreement, the net income of the parents, daycare costs and additional specified expenses.

If your ex-spouse fails to pay child support there are multiple ways the Florida Department of Revenue may ensure owed payments are met and future payments are received. Your ex-spouse may have their drivers' license or passport suspended, they may be held in contempt of court or their bank account may be seized. If your ex-spouse if found in contempt of court the judge may see fit to order them to pay your attorney's fees. There are numerous ways child support may be enforced so it is imperative that you discuss your unique situation with an attorney who can guide you through the process and find the best solution for you and your family.

There is no statue of limitations on the enforcement of child support and retroactive child support may be issued for up to twenty-four months of separation before the divorce.

It is the law that child support is paid in the full amount and on time. If you or a loved one are a victim of that law being broken do not hesitate to schedule a free consultation with Platt Hopwood Attorneys at Law PLLC. We will not only fight for you as a parent, but we will fight for your children and your family. Call our office at (321) 725-3425.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Started With A Free Case Consultation

Contact us by email or call us at 321-725-5638, toll free at 800-479-3032. We will get you through this.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

175 East NASA Blvd., Suite 300
Melbourne, FL 32901

Toll Free: 800-479-3032
Phone: 321-725-5638
Fax: 321-725-4405
Melbourne Law Office Map

Review Us
Visa | Mastercard | American Express | Discover Network