Post-Conviction Relief

Despite their best efforts, police officers, prosecutors, judges and juries make mistakes. But a mistake should not put you in prison for a crime you didn't commit or for longer than appropriate for your case. At Platt Hopwood Attorneys at Law PLLC in Melbourne, we can represent you if you are trying to get your life back after a criminal conviction.

We help people pursue many types of post-conviction relief, including:

  • Expungement — In certain cases, you may be able to seal or expunge your record to prevent potential employers, banks, landlords and others from seeing a past arrest. The sooner you do this, the better you can minimize the impact of your experience with the justice system.
  • Ineffective service of counsel — Under Florida rule 3.850, you may be able to bring a post-trial motion to vacate your sentence or conviction if your criminal defense attorney failed to provide effective representation. Learn more about ineffective service of counsel.
  • Appeals — If a legal error was made in your case but the facts were presented properly, you may be able to pursue an appeal. Appealing a criminal conviction takes extensive knowledge of the law, the original case and the unique appeals process. We can help.
  • New facts — If new evidence is uncovered, or new technology allows existing evidence to be tested more accurately, it may be possible to request a new trial with a court motion. If you believe this may apply to you, a lawyer can help you review your case and determine what to do next.

Serving Time For A Wrongful Conviction? Contact Us For A Consultation

If you have been unfairly sentenced after a criminal conviction, you deserve the chance to exhaust every opportunity for justice. At Platt Hopwood, we don't back down until we have gotten the best possible result for our clients. To learn more, please contact us at 321-725-5638 or 800-479-3032 toll free.